Infectious diseases and viruses such as SARS CoV2 Coronavirus COVID-19 and all subsequent variations are a major concern for homeowners. Ventilation is a chief focal point to keep COVID-19 from spreading indoors. Residential HVAC systems harbor pathogens that may harm you and your family members.
UVGI disinfection of your HVAC system may help stop or lower the spread of serious infectious diseases and viruses, such as:
- Bird flu
- SARS-CoV-2 (coronavirus COVID-19)
- Swine Flu
- Many others
What is UVGI Disinfection?
Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation (UGVI) is not a new concept, but the benefits of disinfection have become popular since the 1980s. Tuberculosis (TB) led to researchers trying to slow the spread of TB using UV-C lights.
Today, systems are being built and placed in healthcare settings to help slow the spread of a growing number of viruses and diseases.
UV-C is on the C-band of ultraviolet lights. According to the FDA, this band can reduce bacteria spread, disinfect air and nonporous surfaces. The FDA notes that UV-C radiation can destroy the outer protein coating of the coronavirus and may be effective at inactivating the virus.
Homeowners that want to purify their air, reduce potential pathogens, and potentially eliminate the risk of bacteria and harmful viruses can do so with these same systems.
UVGI systems are now being installed in residential HVAC systems using lights inside of the air handler and or ducts. UVGI may help the system’s efficiency and possibly disinfect dangerous pathogens that are transmitted through HVAC systems.
Benefits of UV-C as a Disinfectant and Purifier
A home or building’s air duct systems can fill with dirt, bacteria, and particles that stick to the duct surfaces and can spread particles throughout a home. Cleaning air ducts is possible, but a lot of homeowners do not clean these systems often. GERMICIDAL UV SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR FACILITY With a UVGI system in place, there are a lot of benefits:
- Disinfection power. UV-C is a proven disinfectant that has shown a level of efficacy against bacteria, viruses, and mold. Compared to no system in place, this technology may reduce the risk of bacteria, viruses, and mold spreading.
- Fast-acting. UV-C is quick-acting and can rapidly disinfect surfaces, or in this case, HVAC systems. The right system will work on an entire heating and cooling system to reduce the risk of bacteria and viruses spreading from one room of the home to another through the air.
- Trusted. This technology has been in use for decades in healthcare settings and is finally moving into residential applications because affordability has increased.
- Financial. Your HVAC unit will become more efficient as the UVC cleans the Evaporating Coils thus using less electricity. You may see less mechanical and electrical failures over time. You will no longer need to have your evaporator coils cleaned as the UVC Lamps are doing the cleaning 24 hours a day. UVC Systems have extended the useful life of the units in some cases as much as 2 to 5 years.
The Coronavirus COVID-19 has prompted homeowners to try and find ways to improve their Indoor Air Quality of their home’s ventilation system and reduce the spread of Coronavirus COVID-19.
While social distancing, washing hands, wearing a mask, and limiting exposure are all important factors, homeowners are also trying to find ways to disinfect their HVAC systems.
UVGI may help disinfect heating and cooling systems, reducing the risk of bacteria, viruses, and mold spreading from an HVAC system to the entire home.
Through our unique products, we are able to custom design systems that may reduce pathogens by 99.9% and may also reduce airborne transmission risks as pathogens pass through built-in UV-C lamps.
If you have any questions regarding the use of Germicidal UVC Lighting Systems, please call our office. (855) GOT UVC-0. We have been servicing and installing UV Lighting Systems for over 10 years. Ask about our Limited Lifetime Warranty